Davis MM, Recommendations for prevention of childhood obesity. Pediatrics. 2007 Dec;120 Suppl 4:S229-53.
Dietz WH, Robinson TN. Overweight children and adolescents. NEJM. 2005;352(20):2100-9.
You are seeing siblings in your office for their annual school physicals. You note that the 10 yo girl has a BMI of 25 and the 7 yo boy has a BMI of 20.
- What is the definition of overweight? At what point is the child “at risk” for being overweight?
- What questions do you ask the family?
- What family history is important?
- What physical exam features would you want to look for?
- What comorbidities should you be concerned about?
- How do you proceed with these patients?