August Week 2
Article: Congenital Hypothyroidism – Pediatrics in Review
You’ve just received notice that an infant you follow in clinic had a newborn screen positive for congenital hypothyroidism.
1. What does the newborn screen test for?
2. Which two confirmatory tests should you do?
3. When should you begin treatment?
4. Can mom give baby’s multivitamin and levothyroxine at the same time?
5. The mother of the infant notes that she has a second cousin with thyroid problems, and wonders if baby’s thyroid problem is inherited and if her future children will also have hypothyroidism. What can you tell her?
6. If TSH and free T4 are confirmed to be low, what other hormone deficiencies should you consider?
7. What are clinical signs of congenital hypothyroidism?
Case by Dr. Ha-young Choi